Tuesday 29 July 2008

Scale

Throughout my life I have always tried to have attainable goals. There is no point setting yourself extraordinary tasks that you are unlikely to complete and I am not much one for setting myself up for a fall. When I think about it, it seems the only sensible path through life. Any ambitions I have had have been tempered by what I thought was possible and achievable.

When I formulated my tent plan I realised it was pretty ambitious, there will be considerable hardships along the way but the rewards dramatically outweigh them. In many ways, the scale and silliness of the plan serves to increase the likelihood of success.

For a start, I doubt that the land is reaching tent saturation point. Farmers and camp-sites, to my knowledge,don't have to worry about constantly fighting off requests for medium term pitches from people in tents. I will be a novelty and I hope this will increase the chance of success.

Secondly, I will have sold nearly all of my worldly possessions. It would be most embarrassing to have to come home with my tail between my legs and start from scratch. That would be a failure I am not prepared to accept whereas if I put all of my stuff in storage I will have considerably less to lose. It could even be argued that very sensibly storing my worldly stuff would diminish my chances of success

I am starting to realise that the plans most destined for success are the big ones. There are problems with sensible planning and achievable aims that are not immediately clear but upon scrutiny reveal themselves to be blindingly obvious. When your ambitions are tempered, they are not as important and are thus more likely to fail. Big plans usually have larger rewards to ensure continued motivation and there is much less competition for occupancy of the niche into which only the very ambitious and the slightly barking venture.

No comments:

 
page counter